Hey, hey everyone! I know I am a few days early posting but I was over at White Light On Wednesdays a few weeks ago linking up on Julie’s Wednesday’s What’s It’s weekly link party when I noticed a really cute little skull and cross cutlery logo…
I found the logo to be adorable but what really got my attention was inside her post…. challenge!! Whaaa… Haaaa..Haaa my inner pirate girl came out and I was like “Challenge, did you say challenge?… bring it ON!!!” And that was it, next thing I knew I had signed on for the Blackberries Get Your Chef On Challenge sponsored by White Light On Wednesdays and Four Marrs…One Venus.
But now the real challenge began… what to make? I will be truthful I am not really a blackberry lover, they are just a little to bitter for me, and growing up in the suburbs of Chicago we ate a ton of strawberries and raspberries. So that means I have a good amount of recipes for breads and sauces and jellies using strawberries and raspberries but none for blackberries. That meant I had to crack the old noggin and come up with a blackberry recipe that would be new and different not just for me but hopefully for you too.
All rightie then. I kicked the old noggin into overdrive, which is not getting any easier with my age, and came up with lots of crazy ideas. Blackberry cookies… nah, blackberry pie… nope just did a cherry one and I wanted something different, blackberry bars… well that one has been done to death, blackberry cake… wellllll now that one had some promise. I tossed around the idea of a cake with blackberry icing or a cake with blackberry filling but I decided that I wanted the blackberries to be the prominent star of the cake, not the side act, so I decided on a upside down cake. But not just any upside down cake, a sweetly spiced cake with a sweet and tart blackberry topping. In other words… a little slice of heaven on a plate!
And that is how I came up with Spiced Blackberry Upside Down Cake… enjoy!
Spiced Blackberry Upside Down Cake
A sweetly spiced cake covered in sweet and tart blackberries!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, 325°F if using a convection oven.
- In a 9" inch round cake pan combine the melted butter and the brown sugar. Mix them together until all of the brown sugar is moistened and then pat the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the cake pan.
- Evenly spread the blackberries over the top of the brown sugar.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- While the butter and sugar are creaming in a medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- After the butter mixture is creamed reduce the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the mixer speed to slow and slowly add in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly and gently pour the cake batter over the top of the blackberries, with a spatula spread the batter out so it is evenly distributed and tap the pan on the countertop to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a serving dish.
- Serve with whipped cream or powdered sugar if desired.
- The cake should keep for 2-4 days in an air tight container.
I suggest using USA 9 inch round pans for baking. I have never had a cake come as flat and level strait out of the pan as they do with USA pans, and even better these pans are made in the USA!
Spiced Cake adapted from Darkhunter
(c) 2013 True Blue Baking. All Rights Reserved.
Well that’s it for this week. I hope everyone has a great rest of their week and a great weekend too. Also please drop back by after you try this delish Spiced Blackberry Upside Down Cake and let me know how you liked it. Oh and cross your fingers for me to that I win!
Until next time everyone… Enjoy!
This recipe featured at Silver Pennies “Silver Pennies Sundays”.
This recipe featured at Piggy In Polka Dots “Party In Polka Dots”.
This recipe featured at Simply Sweet Home “Friday Favorites”.
This recipe featured at The Real Housewives Of Riverton “Riverton Housewives Round Up #75″.
This recipe featured at Emma Lane “Thrifty Thursday”.
This recipe featured at Rhinestone Beagle “I’m A Doggone Dirty Crafter”.
This recipe featured at Living Well Spending Less “Weekend Wandering”.
This recipe featured at What’s Cooking, Love? “Showcase Your Talent Thursday #71″.
This recipe featured at Crystal’s Tiny Treasures “Campground Kitchen Fun On Mom’s Library 55″.
This recipe featured at Family Food And Travel “Wonderful Food Wednesday”.
This recipe featured at Sew Licious Home Decor “Craft Showcase”.